Saturday, March 13, 2010

Alee's Shrimp Sauce Piquante



This is by far my favorite Cajun recipe - and I've tried a lot! This is my grandmother's recipe. Alee, my father's mother is one of the greatest cooks I have known(along with my Mama). Born and raised in Southern Louisiana, she has dozens of amazing Cajun recipes ranging from Crawfish Etoufee to Shrimp Gumbo to Shrimp Sauce Piquante. I make this one at least once or twice every winter. It's perfect on a cold, winter night with a good glass of red wine. Depending on how spicy you want it, you can play with the amount of cayenne pepper or Tabasco sauce you want to include.

2 pounds shrimp, peeled and deveined
8 tablespoons cooking oil
2 cups onions, chopped
2 cups green onions, chopped
1 cup bell pepper, chopped
1 6-ounce can tomato paste
1/2 cup parsley, chopped
2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
6 large cloves garlic, minced
3 tablespoons flour
2 teaspoons salt
2 cups water
1/2 cup dry red or white wine
1 pound fresh mushrooms

1. Make a roux by browning flour in oil

2. Add onions, green onions, celery, bell pepper and tomato paste. Cook until vegetables are completely wilted, about 20 minutes.

3. Add shrimp, salt, garlic, pepper and water. Cook 1 more hour.

4. Add fwine, mushrooms, and parsley and cook 20 minutes more.

5. Serve over fluffy rice.

Serves 6-8

No comments:

Post a Comment