Monday, March 15, 2010

Chicken Cacciatore

I won a subscription to Cooking Light from work about a year ago and I had no idea how much I was going to use it and love it!! Each month has dozens of pretty easy and healthy recipes to choose from, and the best part is that they are also delicious! I wasn't sure what to expect when I first started trying their recipes because I've always somewhat believed that anything too healthy will probably also lack in taste. However, Cooking Light has proven me wrong! My favorite recipe so far is their chicken cacciatore from the October 2009 issue.



Yield: 4 servings (serving size: about 1 cup chicken mixture, 2 tablespoons cheese, and 1 1/2 teaspoons basil)

Ingredients
1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast, cut into bite-sized pieces
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
Cooking spray
2 cups sliced cremini mushrooms
3/4 cup prechopped bell pepper
1 1/2 cups tomato-basil pasta sauce
1/4 cup dry red wine
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 cup (about 2 ounces) shaved Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
2 tablespoons thinly sliced fresh basil

Preparation
1. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.

2. Sprinkle chicken evenly with oregano, dried basil, and red pepper (I add a little extra red pepper because Seli and I like spicy foods).

3. Coat pan with cooking spray.

4. Add chicken to pan; sauté 2 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring frequently.

5. Add mushrooms and bell pepper to pan; sauté 5 minutes.

6. Stir in pasta sauce and wine; bring to a simmer.

7. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes.

8. Stir in salt and black pepper and then sprinkle with cheese and fresh basil.

Nutritional Information
Calories:239
Fat:6g (sat 2.7g,mono 1.4g,poly 0.5g)
Protein:34.2g
Carbohydrate:11.1g
Fiber:2.6g
Cholesterol:75mg
Iron:2.1mg
Sodium:746mg
Calcium:266mg

No comments:

Post a Comment